While I do love a good holiday-themed treat, a warm (and warming) beverage always wins out for me. What's better than cozying up by the fire with a big mug of cheer?
Some first thoughts for winter warmers are coffee and Bailey's, hot buttered rum, or mulled wine, but I can't drink more than one (ok, two) of those. Drinking excess caffeine will get me wired and destroy my sleep, buttered rum mixes are loaded with sugar, and the sugar in the mulled wine will give me a headache the following day. (Let's be honest, most of us use cheap wine for mulling, and that often contains added sugar and brewer's yeast, which is a common food sensitivity).
So what do I choose? Jamie Oliver's Hot Rummy Lemonade. It's perfect.
This concoction gets it's sweetness from the cider and cinnamon, some spiciness from fresh ginger, and a tart, citrus zing from fresh lemons. While it is made from apple cider, no other sweeteners are needed, but Jamie suggests honey, if you'd like.
All of those lemons and ginger are great for your immune system and keeping all those cold weather viruses at bay, or soothing the sniffles and sore throat you contracted from your nephew.
Give it a try! It's super easy to make and everyone will love it. Watch Jamie make this delightful drink here, or, if you're like me and Jamie's messy cooking style makes you anxious, follow the directions below.
I double the recipe, let the ginger infuse all day or night, and add turmeric for added anti-inflammatory benefits. Serve hot or cold.
Enjoy! Happy Holidays!
Hot Rummy Lemonade (Jamie Oliver)
- A whole hand of ginger (about 300g)
- Juice of 6 lemons
- 1.5 litres cloudy apple juice
- 4 x Generous swirls of runny honey (optional)
- 15 x 25ml shots of dark rum
- Slice up the ginger, leaving the skin on, and add to a large pan with 2 litres of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and leave to simmer for 15 minutes. (If you really love ginger and want a fiery kick, make it the day before, let the ginger go cold in the water and leave overnight to infuse.)
- Strain the liquid through a sieve.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the cloudy apple juice. Bring just to the boil.
- Add 4 very generous swirls of runny honey and give it a good stir. To serve, add a shot of rum to a heatproof glass or mug, then top with the hot lemonade.
- Bottoms up!